Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day Reflections

It's Tuesday and I'm just now looking at my creations Joshua made for me at school last Friday, which apparently didn't dawn on him to give me on Friday or Saturday or Sunday, but were casual tossed to me as we headed out the door for school on Monday.

I love how much Mother's Day teaches me about myself.  For example, did you know my favorite food was "puting" (pudding)?  Me neither, but Gray did.  He also enlightened me to the fact that I am a "grayt cook" (pun intended??).  At least it was no surprise that the thing I like to do is to hug Gray.

Joshua also said I'm really good at cooking.  I need to remind him of this the next time he come hopping expectantly over to the dinner table and his face falls when he sees what's on his plate.  He said if he could buy me anything it would be flower seeds...sweet and I would love that!  He had two Mother's Day questionnaires in a book for me and both mentioned my love for naps and that I'm 30 years old.  Well I'm 31, but who's counting?  And I really have toned down the nap-taking this year!

I love that Joshua answered "What does your mom do while you're at school?" with "I don't know."  Yep, I just wander around all day, staring into space, taking naps, and thinking of what a good cook I am.

Last in the book Joshua gave me was a poem that I think says a lot about me and him:

My mom is as pretty as:  a parrot.
She is as sweet as:  a kitten.
She is as smart as:  a dolphin.
But most of all, she is as special as:  me!

A few months ago, Matt discovered frozen gluten-free waffles that are pretty cheap.  Thus was established Saturday frozen waffle breakfasts.  Apparently this is the greatest thing I've ever done for my children as it was mentioned multiple times in every Mother's Day thing given to me.

So how was Mother's Day here?  It was nice.  Saturday Matt gave me some chocolate and forced me to pick a Red Box movie, since I never will decide what we watch.  Sunday he made breakfast (but he usually does that) and we went to church and had lunch with Matt's family, prepared by his sister.  It was nice.

But I think this year was different.  I have been reading so much about the terrible suffering of so many that I looked at this day of celebration with new eyes.  In the past, I've always thought what made a good Mother's Day/birthday/etc was people serving me, getting some fun gifts, feeling special.  This year I remember all the people that have never been treated kindly a day in their lives.  Makes me feel ridiculous for wanting these extra special days every year.  Every day of my life someone has shown me kindness and love.  Am I some sort of queen that needs even more attention, even more nice things?  I don't think so.  And what has that mentality ever gotten me over the years?  Certainly hasn't made me any more like Jesus, who was so perfect, so loving, so holy, yet didn't ever demand to be treated like the king that he is.

So yes, this Mother's Day was nice, but really?  Every day of my life is nice.



3 comments:

  1. Love those pics, esp. the last one! And that's funny because I was thinking the same thing about why do I expect things on Mother's Day? So I was trying to not be selfish about it :) I'm happy when my kids are happy anyway! We went to the zoo and had fun...
    Those answers are hilarious & makes me want to share some of Jackson's. When he's at preschool, I "do stuff," according to him. And my favorite food is salad! Oh & my eyes are green (was he thinking of Carly??) I did like the fact that he appreciates me playing b-ball and baseball w/ him.
    Happy belated Mother's Day, Hols!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The H-E, that was so well written and thought out - the last part of your blog. It's awful that some people never experience kindness of any kind. I know you receive a lot of kindness and love, but you also are showing kindness and love to others who need it too. Don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true and very well said. Love you Holly.

    ReplyDelete