Thursday, April 13, 2017

Hanging in Hillsborough

This week has been a lot of Allie and me just hanging out, trying to enjoy the beautiful weather, appreciate this week of normal life before our upcoming hospital week, and staying out of Matt's hair so he could sleep since he is on 4 nights in a row.  We've found lots to do and Allie is lots of fun to be with.
Besides having China and adoption in common, these girlies both love bubbles, eggs, and snacks.

Monday Allie got to meet Molly, a fellow China girl, who is 3 and was adopted a month before her.  They interacted some, played near each other a lot, and seemed to have a good morning.  It was interesting to watch Allie having to share and see her mixed feelings on this situation.  :)
She wanted to get in there pretty badly!  Allie hasn't met a dog she doesn't like.


Tuesday we spent the morning at the Riverwalk/Gold Park.  She especially loved seeing several dogs out.  It was such a perfect day to be out.
She was not into taking pictures--had to make it a game, but then hard to get her still!


She loves her "bobo".  I mean, who doesn't?!





Wednesday we went to the grocery store and hung out in our yard, enjoying all the pretty flowers blooming right now.



Thursday we helped count laps at the school and walked a little ourselves.  Allie made it 1/16 of a mile, which is pretty good for her little legs.  Then she did her classic cutting me off and signing up.  She also enjoyed charming the kids and teachers with waves, "bye bye", and blowing kisses.  As long as she's safe in my arms, she is enjoying being extra friendly these days!  Then we ran more errands, including checking out Joshua's collage on display at the library, and walked down to Nanny and Pa's to drop off Raven for a play date.
Joshua changing diapers!

I have taken a ton of pictures this week, just trying to document well our last week before surgery and how happy and fun our sweet girl is.  I have started packing a little for the hospital and am having lots of up and down emotions about it all.  I think about Allie and what she's going to feel physically and emotionally, from the more minor parts like not getting to eat breakfast to the major parts like waking up after being cut open, poked, hooked up, etc.  Julia said the other day, "What if she thinks we are the ones that are making her hurt?" and I have those kinds of thoughts too-- she's going to wonder why in the world we're making her stay there and go through all this stuff!

Julia was born to be a little mother.  She loves taking care of Allie on her own...taking her out to the sandbox, putting her in the stroller and heading off down the sidewalk, staying up till all hours giggling, talking, and singing to her in their room.

I wonder what it's going to be like sleeping in the hospital and whether some days will be as "fun" as our China flight home.  We've only had a child have outpatient surgery and I really don't even remember it that much, so this is new territory and something I would have said is too hard for me to do.  I think that some things in life are too hard.  I know I've read about others' lives that are immensely too hard.   But that is the way this life is.  I think the things that feel too overwhelming are our opportunity to cling to God in prayer and lean on our friends and family for support.  So thankful for all of you and your kindness to our family!

I really dislike the anticipation of big, sad, or scary events.  It's always the worst part to me.  When Matt would leave during our army days, I was always okay once we got past the big goodbye.  So I'm trying to focus on whatever is going on each day and stop thinking about what is to come.  Trying to focus on Easter and all that Jesus has done.  Trying to give thanks that Allie has us and we have her.  Trying to keep things in perspective--there are many worse things and most likely all will be just fine.

Truly if we had known Allie would have to have this surgery, we probably would have said it was too much and thought she wasn't the child for us.  I'm so glad we didn't know.  She is so perfect for us and I wouldn't do anything differently!

No comments:

Post a Comment