Saturday, March 28, 2020

Week 2...AKA The Honeymoon is OVER

Week one of "extended break" was a little magical in some ways.  We hadn't really processed what was happening to life and it was kind of like a week of snow days.  The kids were getting along for the most part, renewing their relationships, getting creative.  I was marveling at my time to do things around the house.  Then came week two.  We were grouchy. Reality sunk in as the governor announced no school till May.  We hadn't seen our friends in forever.  I felt like I could never get any time alone and the projects I was working on were constantly getting interrupted by our most common form of communication:  bickering.  While I could very easily recognize that in the grand scheme of things, this was the good life, it was hard to be cheerful about much of anything.  Thankfully towards the end of the week, we had Matt's birthday, warm weather, friend sightings, and we are starting to settle in again.  Pictures from the week:

Saturday: Mo Willems' Lunch Doodles (we've done a few more since then and it's so fun!)

Julia has picked up the tennis bug.

Allie's own fun again... washing the car.

Driveway lacrosse.

Joshua discovered Matt's bike and enjoyed getting away a little.  Allie enjoyed cleaning the tires.

Sunday:  Zoom church.  Fun to see our church community and carry on with worship in the comfort of our homes.  As you can see, some were quite comfortable.

Zoom church communion= plantain chips and kombucha in medicine cups.

Sweet delivery from our friends of treats, jewelry, encouragement!

I took these rascals down to the park.  Gray took about 20 minutes longer than everyone because he ran in the house multiple times for things he forgot, then discovered that his rip rider is not the best mode of travel for a long sidewalk journey and ended up carrying it.  Boys enjoyed tennis on the basketball court and I left girls on the playground while I took a walk down the path.

Monday:  Gray and Allie's stuffed animal fashion show.  Which somehow included wearing each other's clothes as well.

Tuesday: Mask-making!  Between Monday and Tuesday I sewed 15 masks for Matt's unit.  I had to work with whatever I could find around the house and I'm not the best seamstress and I got so frustrated trying to work while the kids were so needy, but it's done!!

Bible Study girls Zoom meeting.  After more than a week apart, it was so good to catch up!!

Not pictured- Wednesday: I made Matt's birthday cake, which was a bit involved, cleaned, and kids made Matt birthday cards.  
 Thursday: Matt's birthday!  We did a teddy bear hunt around the neighborhood.  People had bears in their windows for us to find.  
Matt and I took a drive in his beloved car over to the gas station by the dump, where he picked up his favorite beer.  Then we picked up our order of wings and tacos from his favorite Wooden Nickel.

Birthday presents!

Oreo cheesecake for dessert.  :)

 Not pictured- Friday:  Julia started a book club via Zoom with her friend Addie.  They will read one of the Harry Potter books.  I went to zumba with a few friends in a culdesac of a neighborhood driveway, keeping 6-10 feet apart at all times of course.  Lots of fun, but getting HOT in the afternoon on that pavement.
Saturday:  Julia and Allie enjoyed making slime out of whatever they could find around the house.

We are now on Spring Break, so no schoolwork for the next week.  Not sure how the kids will keep busy, but Joshua's strategy so far seems to be sleep it off.  I finally got him up at 11:15 this morning after the kids spent a late night with Matt watching Back to the Future, which they loved so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment