Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Getting to know our new community!

Years ago I had this thought--what if one day we were neighbors with my friend Robyn, whom I also knew wanted to adopt, and we ended up adopting together?  The picture was always Chinese kids because of Lisa, though then I was far from sure that's the way we would go if we ever did really go through with adoption...and at that point it wasn't looking like we would.  And then, all of sudden, here we are.  We are neighbors with Robyn AND both of our families are adopting from China AND two other families in our neighborhood are adopting AND our friends from the Army are adopting AND several more families in Durham, one of which includes a little girl that will be in my preschool class next year.  Sometimes I just can't believe the way all these things have fallen into place.  More than I could have asked for or imagined, for sure!



Mother's Day, our new community of families who have started adopting via Lisa in the last couple of months all gathered for dinner and it was really cool.  I didn't know a couple of the families, so it was fun to meet new people.  Loved catching up with those I do know.  Great to talk through our experiences and hilarious to see us all halt our conversations and lean in a little closer every time Lisa started talking with her answers to our questions and words of wisdom.  She is our common link and was the lady of the hour, so to speak.  So neat to see all of our 26 kids running around and playing together.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone more as we continue the process, some of us travel together, and as we gather again when our new children are home, giving them time to hang out with families just like theirs.  By then we may have upwards of 36 kids to wrangle!  Just very thankful to have this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment