So from his side, the day was less than fun. He spent all day laying in the bathroom upstairs feeling alternately okay and then pretty bad again. He has had these episodes so frequently but we still aren't positive if they are viruses or food-related. He had a pizza party at school on Thursday, so we gambled that it was the culprit and the family came over anyway, but he felt too bad to get up and join in the fun and wasn't able to eat all day. (Good news is he's back to normal this morning and I can tell he is just so happy to be feeling good again! I definitely know how he feels!)
Julia had woken up when Joshua did at 4 am and was happily chatting away with me. But when it was time to get up for real, I could tell it was going to be a long day. She cried about everything and once sat up in her room for a good 15 or 20 minute stretch doing nothing but crying/screaming because she was mad about something. She was much more pleasant after nap and had such a good time playing with her girl cousins into the wee hours of the night...well, 9pm, but that's late for her!!
And then there was Gray. Sometimes I don't get this child and usually looking back, I realize again that I see myself in him! He spent most of his birthday complaining. Really, every single thing I did was not up to par for him. It was sooo discouraging. From his special pancake breakfast to his presents to his cake, he fussed and grumped over and over. I tried to talk to him. I definitely wondered in my head if we have spoiled him and maybe we should just stop doing special things and trying to live the American way. Maybe he's not grateful because we just have way too much and there's no room in his heart for God to speak to him. Millions of children live without a single toy or trip to a restaurant...why is it we feel like we're depriving our kids if we don't give them those things?
Anyway, there were a few highlights of the day. Nanny came over to give him his gifts and he was very thankful and excited (of course he tossed our gifts--game and stickers--on the floor after that and didn't even acknowledge he had opened them) and he very much enjoyed everyone coming over. He had an epic battle with Jackson and he went around and gave everyone a piece of his candy from Nanny until he only had one piece left for himself. Where was that sweetness with his Mama?
Popular bday gift from Nanny and Pa
But the morning after, I see how much I am like that. I struggle to be sweet and serve my family many days but turn on that smile as soon as I encounter someone outside the family. and gifts? Well the things God gives me that sound like just what I asked for I am so grateful and excited about, but those things he gives me that don't answer my prayers the way I wanted, I definitely throw them aside and complain. SO MANY lessons to be learned in parenting!!All in all, everyone went to bed happy. Well, actually Julia threw another fit, but then once Matt calmed her down I think she was happy. And Joshua was starting to feel better. And we were tired, but thankful. And Gray? Our last conversation went like this:
Gray- Mommy, I don't feel good because I have a boo boo on my foot.
Me- Yeah, you and Jackson were playing really rough!
Gray- (look of utter distress changes to bright smile) Yeah, we were!
Think he went to sleep dreaming of fighting and swords and knights.
Side note- one other "fun" thing happened yesterday. I was talking with Gray as he was laying back in a chair and realized there was something blue in his nose. I had noticed he sounded stuffy all morning and figured out the reason--he had put a bead up there and just left it. And yes, I do realize he is following in both his mother and father's footsteps!
Gray's "everyone is singing to me and I don't know what to do" face
Too excited! His hands are a blur:)
No idea what the gift is Matt's holding, but he liked it.
Birthday Boys!










Oh my! Happy Easter to all!
ReplyDeleteOoh, sorry about Joshua! No fun! I bet you were tired by the end of the day! Hope today and tomorrow are more peaceful.
ReplyDeleteAnd I feel your pain! I'm already anticipating (or maybe dreading?) the way Jackson's going to be for his bday. And yet I'm a hypocrite and struggle the same way, like you said...yes, parenting reveals things about yourself that you don't always want to see!
Love the Star Wars cake! And what's that cool gift from Nanny and Pa ? :)
A- that is a hot wheels track that sticks on the wall. Jackson would love.
ReplyDeleteGray looks so handsome in the picture of the cool gift! I've never seen one of those. Whered she get it?
ReplyDeleteNot sure but think they're on amazon.
ReplyDelete